I give up: how do you continue a line in Rev?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Aug 19 03:43:33 EDT 2005

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:
> At 4:16 PM -0700 8/18/2005, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> As I noted in my previous post, I fully agree with Jon that it would
>> be great for Rev to include an entry for the backslash token in the
>> docs. If someone will kindly drop this into the BZ queue we can expect
>> that to happen, then we'd never need to think about it again and Rev
>> would have one up on Microsoft.
>
> ...and whoever validated the bug would mark it "not a bug", since the
> dictionary does in fact have an entry for "\". (You didn't look first,
> did you? ;-)

No, I took all the ruckus here at face value. ;)

So you single-handedly outdid the mighty Microsoft?  Cool.

It seems the problem then is not with your content, but with the current
Help shell's inability to locate the content:

Of course a user looking for the line continuation character won't know
to look for the "\" token, so instead I searched for "line" (too many
results; none clearly relevant) and "continuation" (zero results).

In your other post you quoted a block of text about line continuation --
where is that from?  Your quoted portion contains the string "break a
line", but when I search for that string in Help it turns up zero results.

Oddly enough, when I search my own Help shell containing the same
content (imported from the thousands of tiny XML files used in Rev so I
get all the many advantages of using native objects), searching for
"break a line" or "continuation" takes me immediately to the "\" token.

Hmmm....

On further investigation I was finally able to get Rev's Help to find
those as well.  It seems that somewhere along the way in just those few
minutes I was able to accidentally get it into a state in which it was
returning false negatives.  It's awfully complex, and works much harder
than it needs to.  This "mystery state" may help explain why so many
others here had the same bad results I did at first.

Moral for people making IDE parts:

Know the engine,
trust the engine,
let the engine do as much of the work as it can.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal