I give up: how do you continue a line in Rev?

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Fri Aug 19 03:00:05 EDT 2005

At 3:20 PM -0400 8/18/2005, Jon wrote:
>I'm sure the answer to this question (how do you continue a line in
>Rev) is simple.  Where could I have found the answer to this simple
>question in the documentation?  I looked for "continue": no joy.
>"line": no joy.  I looked at the Scripting discussion, and I know
>know all about comments, but nothing about continuing lines onto the
>next line.

"How to break a line in a script:
If a line of code is too long to be easily displayed in the script
editor, it is convenient to break it into more than one line for
display, while still having Transcript treat it as a single line.

You use the \ character to break a script line for display, as in the
following example:

   set the thumbSize of scrollbar 1 to \
      (the height of group 1/the formattedHeight of group 1)

When the above split line is executed, it's treated as a single line of code."

The entry for "\" is also the first item returned when you search the
dictionary for "continue".

Writing documentation starts to seem kind of pointless when a large
part of its target audience presents convincing proof, often, that
much of that audience doesn't bother to read it.

(Admittedly, this is one of the places where an index would be really
useful, since you can set up an index to catch synonyms. On the other
hand, a search would have succeeded here. Will someone who won't
search use an index? Maybe, maybe not.)
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com