Can a substack icon in a standalone be rendered invisible?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Aug 18 14:46:11 EDT 2005

Dan Shafer wrote:
> Chipp......
>

> On Aug 17, 2005, at 5:26 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:
>
>> If I were you, I'd just not include the subStack in the Standalone
>> build process, then just open it when you need if from your  standalone.
>

> I think this is unclear, at least it is to me. I am under the
> impression that if you want to use a stack as data storage in a Rev
> app, you *must* include it in the standalone and have the substack in
> which you wish to store data in a separate folder. I can't tell
> precisely what you're suggesting here. Can you elucidate?
>
>> I never use the 'put substacks in separate folders' feature of
>> standalone builder.
>

> But is it not the case that if you *don't* put these substacks in a
> separate folder, you *can't* change their contents dynamically during
> program execution?

The only requirement for a stack that saves data is that it not be a
substack of the application file on disk. It must be in its own file.
The stack file can be stored anywhere; same folder, inside an OS X app
bundle, different folder, different volume, doesn't matter, just so it
is an independent file that is separate from the app.

The standalone builder automates the process of removing the substack
and making it a separate file. However, you don't need to use this
feature, which is what I think Chipp is refering to. Just keep the data
stack as a separate file all through development and then you don't need
to dis-incorporate it when you build; it is already separate.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com