what is a hard space?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Aug 13 20:01:13 EDT 2005

On 8/13/05 6:21 PM, "Erik Hansen" <erikhans08 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Ken Ray <kray at sonsothunder.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8/13/05 12:35 AM, "Sivakatirswami"
>> <katir at hindu.org> wrote:
>
>> The only thing to keep in mind is the situation
>> where you have hard-spaces
>> before or after a string, in which case the
>> "word 1 to -1" approach won't
>> work.
>
> what is a hard space?

A "hard space" is ASCII 202 (which on a Mac you can get by typing
Option-Space), which looks like a space, but acts like a non-space character
- that is, you can't break the words connected with hard spaces because it
"looks" (to the OS) like a single word.

Back in the old HC/SC days, you'd use hard spaces to make sure the
"clickText" could be used on what *appeared* to be two (or more) words in a
field. For example, if you have:

  Ken(spc)Ray(spc)coded(spc)here

in a locked field and the script of the field says "on mouseUp;put the
clickText;end mouseUp", when I click on "Ken", it will put "Ken". However,
if I have this in a field:

  Ken(hardspc)Ray(spc)coded(spc)here

and then clicked on "Ken", it will put "Ken Ray".

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/