altBrowser for Linux?

Bob Warren warren at howsoft.com
Fri Aug 12 11:26:48 EDT 2005

Dear All,

I have tried asking the following question privately to the Rev team, but so
far I have received only one very incomplete response. So now I am asking it
publicly, since I am sure I am not the only one interested in some kind of
concrete answer.

As you know, Linux grows daily, not least of all in the developing world.
However, until a short time ago I had never found a Linux that worked 100%,
so I stuck with Windows. My great revelation was the discovery of the
Debian-based "Ubuntu" Linux, which is head and shoulders above the rest.
A few days ago, I installed a trial version of RunRev, which not only seemed
to work as well as the Windows version, but was even more beautiful! I was
overjoyed, but then I began to think. In most of the programs I have ever
written, I have incorporated browsers, and this has become fundamental.
I would hate to be condemned to using RealBasic in Linux (to be launched
free this month) because of the lack of a browser in Revolution. If it is
not a trade secret, could the Rev team tell us what plans (if any) they have
for launching (or arranging the launching of) a (Debian-based) version of
altBrowser? My decision to continue with Rev might possibly be determined
by the answer to this question.