[OT] Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday

Rodney Somerstein rodneys at io.com
Fri Aug 12 03:56:07 EDT 2005

Dan,

I have to say that in looking at Ruby today I came to a similar
conclusion to yours. I think Ruby is probably best loved by people
switching from Perl. It seems to have many of the same
characteristics, such as many ways to do things and ways to
abbreviate the code so as to make it harder to read. I found a site
that had a good comparison of Ruby and Python and the Python code all
seemed very readable while I had a hard time understanding the Ruby
code. Note that I'm not a Python expert. I've played with it just a
very little bit over the years, but the code seems very readable for
anyone that has programmed in just about any language.

Ruby on Rails looks to be a tremendously effective approach to create
Ajax (Asychronous JavaScript and XML) applications. For the best
known application using Ajax, take a look at Google maps if you
haven't seen it. This is an exciting time of possibilities when you
think of what kinds of applications we are likely to start seeing on
the Web. We will finally start seeing more Web applications that feel
like standalone apps without requiring a player of some sort to be
embedded in the browser. The downside right now is that Ruby on Rails
does require using Ruby. I suspect Python will catch up soon if it
hasn't already. I don't know whether Revolution can already
effectively play in this environment or not.

-Rodney