Looking for suggestions/advice

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Fri Aug 12 02:15:59 EDT 2005

I wrote a nice mail to respond to all this but again, i got
censured/waiting for approval...

grrr

you'll have to wait until Heather gets to it if she does in time...

in brief, i have such an engine...

cheers
Xav

use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com wrote on 12/08/2005 07:42:17:

> On Aug 11, 2005, at 12:31 AM, Rodney Somerstein wrote:
>
> > But, short of that, does anyone have any other suggestions?
>
> I had thought of creating something like this as well in the past,
> and had come to the conclusion that if I were doing it, I wouldn't
> try to implement the rules. Instead, I'd simply focus on implementing
> correct card behavior. So the game would understand a deck of cards,
> a face-down card, a face-up card, and a card that is visible to only
> a subset of players, with the ability to move each of these around on
> a virtual table.
>
> So for example, if you and I are playing blackjack and I am dealing,
> I grab the deck and deal out a face up card on your side of the
> table, a face down card on my side, a face up card on your side, and
> a face up card on my side. I then "look" at my face down card. You
> can see that I am looking, but not what I see.
>
> Etc., etc.
>
> The only thing preventing me from dealing both my cards face up is
> that we both know how blackjack works. It doesn't need to be codified.
>
> The end result is a virtual card table that can be used to play
> almost any card game imaginable, without any further configuration.
> We just need to agree to the rules.
>
> I hadn't thought of stopping at cards -- implementing chess pieces
> would be easier than playing cards, since they have a single
> visibility state for all players. Want to play four-handed chess?
> Chess on a 36x36 board with fifty pieces each? No problem, no
> definition required.
>
> Rev would be very well suited to this, by the way.
>
> regards,
>
> Geoff

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER