Looking for suggestions/advice

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Aug 11 19:45:09 EDT 2005

Rodney Somerstein wrote:

> Another consideration is that if I switch away from Rev, I will need
> to switch to a language other than my scripting language being used to
> write the base application. Unfortunately neither Python or Ruby seem
> to offer any easy way to write standalone applications with a GUI and
> make the application easily deployable for non-developers.

I don't see any problem doing that in Python. You would build and
distribute the app as a standalone executable, and simply "eval" the
user scripts. There isn't, as far as I know, any easy way to build the
standalones cross-platform, so you yourself would need access to each
platform to build the distributable - but you could distribute through a
standard installer mechanism (i.e. very easy for anyone to install), and
be able to run plug-in scripts.

If you do look at Python, I'd suggest specifically looking at PythonCard
- it has a good installer mechanism for Windows, the Mac side can be
done but isn't so well packaged yet.