command-period - On third thought...

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Aug 8 13:28:45 EDT 2005

Timothy-

Monday, August 8, 2005, 10:12:01 AM, you wrote:

> My issue is much simpler. If an answer dialog is waiting on the
> screen, command-period, would, in a perfect world, exit to top. As
> far as I can tell, no keyboard entry will make that happen.

I've lost the original context for this thread, so I may not know
what's going on here, but that's never stopped me before...

Answer dialogs are modal. Typically a modal dialog means that all
other action within an application is blocked until the dialog is
dismissed. This is done by pressing one of the buttons on the modal
dialog ("OK", "Cancel", etc) or by typing the keyboard equivalent of
thos buttons (return, escape, etc). The addition of command-period
would be an interesting addition to the operating system as a
substitute for the escape key, but that would have to be done at the
OS level rather than the application level. Otherwise you're talking
about redefining what a "modal" dialog means, especially if you want
to close the modal dialog and force an exit-to-top.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net