me vs. this?

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Fri Aug 5 19:53:51 EDT 2005

At 11:20 AM -0400 8/5/2005, Charles Hartman wrote:
>Well, I don't know. Now that it's pointed out to me, I see in the
>Doc under 'this' only mentions of 'this card' and 'this stack' . . .
>It seems a little counterintuitive, though, doesn't it? to have an
>apparent "plain English" command with what feels like an arbitrary
>limitation on its reference? Why shouldn't "this X" refer to
>whichever X is the "current" one of its kind (group, button, script
>. . .)?

Well, the current stack is the one that's open and frontmost, and the
current card is the one that's visible. But there's not really an
analog for a group, button, etc., because you can have more than one
of those available in the current context - you might have several
groups on the current card, for instance, and no one of them is
"current" in the same way.
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com