SCRIPTS IN GROUPS

Bill bill at bluewatermaritime.com
Sat Aug 6 13:33:46 EDT 2005

The only thing confusing about it is that the user interface makes it so you
can see the shape of your background group (and I have it set to background
so the objects in it will duplicate each time I make a new card so I can't
turn that off). So I guess when you set a group to background maybe it's
appearance when in programming mode could be the whole card? Of course, now
that I know the special behavior it isn't a problem but I'm just thinking
for the next new user.

Another idea, maybe two kinds of background behavior could be set for
groups. One that allows for HyperCard compatibility and is confusing and one
that just makes the objects copy when you make a new card?

Or maybe there could be a master switch that turns off and on many features
that are necessary for HyperCard ports but otherwise problematical?

Bill

On 8/6/05 1:13 PM, "James Spencer" <jspencer78 at mac.com> wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2005, at 11:56 AM, Dan Shafer wrote:
>
>> While I'm not sure this can be characterized as a bug, I'd call it
>> a surprising feature. And it has a particularly intriguing problem
>> if you have multiple background groups. In that case, the
>> background groups live in layers, of course, each of which is the
>> effective size of the card. So the topmost background intercepts
>> all mouseUps (and presumably other such messages) that fall outside
>> the bounds of any object or other group on the card. I can see
>> where that might cause a programming dilemma or at least confusion.
>>
>> I don't think it's necessary to avoid putting scripts in groups,
>> but it is necessary to be careful what messages you write scripts
>> for in the groups so that you can handle the flow of messages
>> properly.
>>

> I'm actually surprised to hear you, as a HyperCard user, say this,
> i.e. that is a surprising feature.  I may be wrong about this but I
> had thought the background property was implemented in large part for
> compatability with HyperCard.  And while it's been years since I've
> used HC, as I recall in HC, a click outside any other objects would
> go through to the background which covered the entire card.
> Personally, the feature that  I found surprising when I started using
> rev was that you could have more than one background.
>
> Spence
>
> James P. Spencer
> Rochester, MN
>
> jspencer78 at charter.net
>
> "Badges??  We don't need no stinkin badges!"

            |    |    |
           )_)  )_)  )_)
          )___))___))___)\
         )____)____)_____)\\