me vs. this?

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Fri Aug 5 10:20:51 EDT 2005

Hi Charles,

"Me" is often opposed to "the target": me is equivalent to the object
that contains the currently running handler and the target refers to
the object which received the message that started execution.
Note that "target" without "the" refers to the contents of a control.
When you use "this", you may only refer to the current card or the
current stack.
As far as I know, "this group" does not make sense...
Little Rev subtilities :-)

Le 5 août 05 à 16:09, Charles Hartman a écrit :

> In a mouseUp handler for a radio-button group called "my group", I
> would have thought I could refer to the hilitedButtonName of the
> group without specifying it any further. But
>
>     answer the hilitedButtonName
>
> doesn't give the right response. Neither does
>
>     answer the hilitedButtonName of this group
>
> It has to be
>
>     answer the hilitedButtonName of group "my group"
>
> or
>
>     answer the hilitedButtonName of me
>
> What I most don't understand (??) is the relation between "me" and
> "this X" when "me" is an instance of type X.

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62