design of radio-button choice

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Thu Aug 4 22:23:58 EDT 2005

Thanks -- and to Alex, too -- I hadn't thought of grouping the check-
boxes. I'm first going to try a simpler & more permissive approach
and see how the user-experience feels, but if that's not satisfactory
I'll do the second group.

But either way, there's something I still don't quite understand
about the messaging.

I know how to find out which of a group of radio buttons has been
pressed -- but I'm not quite clear how to know when one (any) has
been pressed, that is, when to check the result. Do I just use a
mouseUp handler attached to the group (of radio buttons)? That looks
promising and I'll try it. However:

If the check-boxes are also in a group, presumably I should manage
them from a script attached to their group, too. In a mouseUp
handler? But their "radioBehavior" will be false (more than one can
be hilited, no auto-de-hiliting), so hilitedButton won't work. How do
I tell, in that mouseUp handler, which one was pressed?

Is there a tutorial on this stuff? I haven't seen one but I may be
looking in the wrong place. I know it's pretty basic, but I'm
confused. Thanks again for the patience & advice.

Charles