cannot import a MS word file into field

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Thu Aug 4 18:17:22 EDT 2005

On Aug 4, 2005, at 12:50 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Dan Shafer wrote:
>
>> For one thing, Revolution knows very little of styled text fields,
>> so  it is essentially impossible simply to put Word content into a
>> Rev  field.
>>

> Rev supports a wide variety of the most popular text style
> attributes. While Rev doesn't read the proprietary Word format
> directly, it can import styled text as RTF.

True, but: (1) RTF support is far from complete; and (2) images in an
RTF file are ignored by Rev.

>> And it is impossible without a huge amount of work to mix images
>> and  text in a field in Rev. That's what cards are for. You put
>> text in  fields, images in their own object spaces.
>>

> The imageSrc property allows images to be displayed in fields.
> There are merits to both a card-based and field-based presentation,
> depending on the needs of the app in question, but both are quite
> doable.

OK, good point. When I said "cards" what I really intended was to say
don't use a text field. The imageSrc property is, in my mind, a
kludge hardly worthy of the otherwise excellent quality of the
Transcript language. Of course, it's also possible I just don't "get"
it since I'm not a graphics guy.

Dan Shafer, Revolution Consultant and Author
http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.revolutionpros.com, Click "My Stuff"