recursion limits

Chris Sheffield revlist at cableone.net
Wed Aug 3 17:02:24 EDT 2005

Thanks, Pierre, but I don't think that's quite what I'm after.  My
backup program won't be something that will run consistently for
weeks at a time.  I'm talking about recursion as in calling the same
handler/function from within itself.  I'm guessing there could be
issues with this if the folder to back up has a large directory
structure, as in many sub folders and files.

On Aug 3, 2005, at 1:50 PM, Pierre Sahores wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In about recursive tasks, the "send message in x seconds" can
> efficiently be replaced by an "on idle" message if the soft has to
> work for days, weeks or months. Because the idle message is only
> send when no one thread is running, it's an helpfull way to avoid
> mrmory troubles. I used this design years ago under Hypercard 2.35
> and 2.41 with very good results.
>
> Le 3 août 05 à 19:59, Chris Sheffield a écrit :
>

>> I know recursion has been discussed in the past, and I'm wondering
>> if anyone has ever run into any limits (i.e. memory problems) with
>> recursion in Rev.  I am working on a little backup utility for my
>> own use, and I'm wondering what would happen if I decided to back
>> up my entire hard drive?  Would Rev choke on that?  I realize it
>> could potentially take hours.  Would I start getting out of memory
>> errors?  The utility uses a directory walking function to create a
>> list of all sub folders and files to be backed up.
>>
>> Anyone have some detailed results with this type of thing?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris

>> Chris Sheffield
>> Read Naturally