recursion limits

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Wed Aug 3 15:50:42 EDT 2005

Hi,

In about recursive tasks, the "send message in x seconds" can
efficiently be replaced by an "on idle" message if the soft has to
work for days, weeks or months. Because the idle message is only send
when no one thread is running, it's an helpfull way to avoid mrmory
troubles. I used this design years ago under Hypercard 2.35 and 2.41
with very good results.

Le 3 août 05 à 19:59, Chris Sheffield a écrit :

> I know recursion has been discussed in the past, and I'm wondering
> if anyone has ever run into any limits (i.e. memory problems) with
> recursion in Rev.  I am working on a little backup utility for my
> own use, and I'm wondering what would happen if I decided to back
> up my entire hard drive?  Would Rev choke on that?  I realize it
> could potentially take hours.  Would I start getting out of memory
> errors?  The utility uses a directory walking function to create a
> list of all sub folders and files to be backed up.
>
> Anyone have some detailed results with this type of thing?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

> Chris Sheffield
> Read Naturally