when can I set a substack's properties?

Lynch, Jonathan bnz2 at cdc.gov
Wed Aug 3 09:36:40 EDT 2005

I recently found that if you tell an unopened substack to create a new
group within itself, it will give that group an ID of 0. If you tell it
to create more than one new group within itself, all of the groups will
have an ID of 0.

So, there must be at least some differences between open and unopen
stacks.