when can I set a substack's properties?

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Tue Aug 2 19:29:04 EDT 2005

I'm not clear about when a substack "exists." I want to set some
custom properties in a substack from a script in the main stack, and
it would be a lot handier if I could do it before issuing the "open"
command for the substack. It seems to work OK during my development
cycle in the IDE. But will it work (in a stack being run under the
Dreamcard Player) the first time out of the box? Or do I have to
issue an "open" command before Rev will know the substack exists, and
where to put stuff in it?

The substack is part of the stack file, so is it true that Rev knows
all about it, and properties (custom or built-in) can be set before
it's opened? The IDE's own evidence is kind of mixed: the Application
Browser knows the substack while it's closed, but the Inspector doesn't.

Charles Hartman