OS X 10.4 vs. 10.3 incompatibility

John Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Tue Aug 2 17:55:25 EDT 2005

I have encountered a strange system incompatibility.  Stacks that ran/
run fine under Mac OS X 10.3.x, produce the following peculiar
behaviour under 10.4.2 (whether using the MC or RR IDE).  I have a
slider in a group that also contains a default (throbbing) button,
which is to be clicked when the slider is in the position the user
wants.  All is fine under 10.3.x (i.e., the button throbs and the
slider tracks the mouse as the user slides it back and forth); under
10.4.2, the button s-l-o-w-l-y throbs (i.e., you can see each step of
the throb animation), and the slider no longer keeps up with the
mouse (i.e., it lags by a lot).  It is like the whole system has been
slowed down by a factor of 2 or 3 (i.e., 100 or a 1000-fold).  Yet,
other default buttons throb correctly.  (I have no other sliders in
these stacks).  It is clearly not my code (indeed, I have used this
group successfully since at least MC 2.2, and probably before, and on
all other versions of OS X).

I receive the list in digest mode, so please respond directly to me
if you have any insights.

--
- JRV
There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those