Spotlight indexing: feature request proposal

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Mon Aug 1 22:45:43 EDT 2005

> I am looking for ways to add metadata to external files using
> Spotlight - video files in particular from within Revolution. I
> think it would be very useful if the stack indexing suggestions was
> extended to standard Apple file formats or to any file format with
> an existing system level spotlight metadata plugin (you'd need to
> know or parse the plist structure).
>
> In the meantime I'm looking to use AppleScript or the command line
> tools - but not got anything working yet - any ideas?

If you use "Get Info", on a file, you will see a section at the top
called "Spotlight comments". Anything typed into this box gets added
to the Spotlight index. You can edit this text using AppleScript,
here's an example.

tell application "Finder"
     set tFile to choose file
     set the comment of file tFile to "Index me!"
end tell

HTH,
Sarah