global problems

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Mon Aug 1 21:56:19 EDT 2005

Global properties do!

For me, the rationale is simple: globals are the ONLY way to have data
which is _not_ stack specific. As such, closing or modifying a stack
should never delete global data.

Perhaps what you're really looking for is a stack-level local variable?

I'm thinking the seeming oddity of the situation has something to do
with the loose restrictions on declarations in xTalk, and the runtime
nature. In other languages, if you removed all references to a global
and recompiled, of course it would disappear...?