global problems

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Aug 1 21:35:30 EDT 2005

Ken-

>> Constants
>> certainly don't.

> Well, why would they? They're opposite things to variables.

Right... well, the point I was trying to make is that there's
*nothing* else that has this persistence. Maybe I chose a bad example.

> Globals are for what they say they are. A global declared during
> runtime _should_ be available in any open stack. Why would you want  to
> get rid of it, i.e., that's what they're for. Unless you want to do a
> one-time setup to initialize multiple stacks, then destroy it. Of
> course you could do the same thing with custom props, but it would be
> more awkward.

Maybe I'm missing something about globals here, but since you have to
reference a global explicitly in a script in order to use it, I don't
see why the global should persist if the stack that declared it is
removed from memory.

In other words, if I'm foolish enough to declare a "global x" in a
piece of test code, why should that continue to haunt me when I dump
my test stack and then open a completely different stack that happens
to have a "local x" declaration in it? Am I missing something basic?

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net