Weird OS9 runtime problem->losing database connection

Chris Sheffield revlist at cableone.net
Mon Aug 1 15:37:27 EDT 2005

Hi Ton,

There are some weird issues with OS 9 standalones accessing a MySQL
database.  I'm not exactly sure where the problem lies, but it seems
to be with the standalone builder itself, which makes sense since
everything works fine in the IDE and not in the standalone.

I had a similar problem a few months back, and if I remember
correctly, what you have to do is manually select your inclusions and
under database support select MySQL *and* Valentina.  I know, it
sounds stupid, but it works.  For some strange reason, database
support on OS 9 is linked to the Valentina xcmd, and if you build
your standalone without it, nothing works.  So you end up with an
extra file in your distribution that wouldn't normally be necessary,
but right now it's the only way to make it work.  This has already
been reported (#2613 in Bugzilla), and will hopefully be fixed soon.

HTH,
Chris

On Aug 1, 2005, at 1:04 PM, Ton Kuypers wrote:

> What's going on, what am I missing here?
>
> I've created a database frontend which needs to run on Windows,
> 2000 WIndows XP, Mac OS9 and Mac OS-X.
> All run perfect except the Mac OS9 version...
>
> I have a splash screen with some minor scripts in the preopenstack
> and startup handlers. In the on opencard script I load some
> parameters and call a script in another stack. (All basic SQL-
> generating scripts are located in that stack, all in buttons, so
> it's very easy to manage and edit them. I use properties in the
> stack to pass parameters around and maintain parameters per session.)
> The script I need to run is in the mouseup handler of button
> "connectToDB".
> I use the "revOpenDatabase" command with all parameters and the
> result is a number, the connection ID.
>
> When there is no error in connecting to the mySQL database, I
> continue to the "Login" substack so a user can enter its username
> and password.
> Hitting the enter button should then set a property of the stack
> with  the name & password and send a mousup to a second button,
> which checks if the user may or may not login.
>
> The first part (getting the connection ID works fine on OS9, but
> when I'm in the second script, the "revOpenDatabases()" return
> empty and I get the error "revdberr, invalid connection id", so
> nothing works :-((
>
> When running it inside revolution on OS9 it's OK, so are all other
> runtimes, just the OS9 runtime doesn't work.
>
> Anybody any suggestions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ton Kuypers

Chris Sheffield