"convert it to seconds" & "Philosophy"

simplsol at aol.com simplsol at aol.com
Sat Apr 30 13:27:30 EDT 2005

Hi Heather,
 It's nice to know someone IS listening.
 The response I was hoping for was something like this:
  "Yes, Mr. Looney, we are aware of this date/time problem from all of
the other posts on the discussion group and bugzilla. We, too consider
it serious and have dispatched the resources to fix it promptly.
Estimated completion is tentatively scheduled for 7:13 pm GMT on May
17th of this year. We'd like to thank you, and all of the other people
who brought this to our attention. We are committed to making Rev the
best X-talk RAD in the history of civilized mankind. Thank you, again.
Heather"
 OK, that was probably too much to hope for... ;-)
  I agree, in general, that bugzilla is the place for bugs. I only two
problems with the bugzilla approach:
  1. It seems to have turned into a celestial black hole, where things
go in but do not come out. Don't misunderstand, the upgrades from
Version 1 to 2, and 2 to 2.5 were very helpful. But there are critical
items (like reliable dates) that have not been addressed in all of
these versions over all of these years.
 2. A lot of bugs do not get the votes they should.
  The date/time problem is a good example: people can write, test, and
sell programs with date/time math that appear to work properly - until
daylight savings time changes. They won't vote because they don't know
they have a (serious) problem.
  Another non-voting group is the newbies who try Rev. and, before they
can be impressed with the vast capacity, easy access, awesome speed,
etc., they're gone forever because of their experience with the tables,
menus, documentation, etc. - and, of course, they don't vote.
  Bugzilla is geared toward assisting the veteran Rev. programmer - not
making Rev. more marketable to (the vital) new users. Many times on the
list new users have observed the Rev. seems to be a beta product rather
than a shipping program. I can see why they say this, there are design
and usability issues beyond what one would expect when moving to a new
programming environment. These do not get put into bugzilla because we
veterans have learned to work around them. Some of us take a perverse
pride in knowing obscure, undocumented, non-intuitive workarounds,
mentioned on the list 8 to 10 months ago. None of these receive votes
but they limit sales. And sales of Rev. are important to all users of
Rev.
  If there was an interest, I could list the top ten items I believe are
costing Rev. customers, items that may not have many bugzilla votes. Is
there an interest?

  And last, "philosophy". I usually disagree with everything Richmond
posts. I certainly do not see any long-term benefit from open sourcing
Rev. I do like the idea of a free introductory product. But, beyond
that, I like the idea and the experience of open discussion enjoyed on
this list. We tend to learn more from those we disagree with anyway. As
long as discussions are conducted with civility, propriety, and decorum
please let them continue (under the watchful eyes of the
ever-supportive listmom).
 Paul Looney