Our friend the proxy server

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Apr 29 15:54:15 EDT 2005

I'm interested in hearing what people are doing (if anything) for proxy
detection on Windows.  Here is the situation I am up against.

I have an app which grabs data from the web on occasion.  Detecting and
setting proxy settings on Windows is fine if they have manually
configured IE since the settings show up in the registry.

The big problem occurs when the computers are behind a proxy server and
the computers are getting their proxy server info automatically from
the server (from something like a .pac file).  Windows doesn't seem to
store this info in the registry.

I have a way for users to manually configure their proxy settings but
in one environment users will be moving to different offices with their
laptops and proxy settings will change based on their IP subnet.
Asking these (very) non-technical folks to configure every time they
movie creates obvious problems.  Anyone have any insight on how to
detect proxy settings under any circumstances?

Thanks,

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia