A Philosophical Point

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Apr 28 00:35:02 EDT 2005

Mark Wieder wrote:
> Richard-
>
> Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 7:25:59 PM, you wrote:
>
> RG> We have at least one anecdotal data point in which the hobbyist was
> RG> quite happy to use only the free version with narry a though about
> RG> buying a license, and only after Rev discontinued the free version did
> RG> he obtain one.
>
> RG> I used to believe the old free version was a good idea, but it's hard to
> RG> argue with data like that.  ;)
>
> <arguing for the sake of arguing here>
>
> It's not hard at all to argue with a *single anecdotal data point*.
>
> If I remember correctly, the free version never expired, but in order
> to use the new features you had to upgrade. If said hobbyist wasn't
> impressed with runrev, he could have passed on upgrading to a new
> version and continued with the free one. Obviously that wasn't the
> case. The free version hooked the user and made enough of an impact
> that he decided to spring for a paid upgrade.
>
> Seems to me like the free version was the cause of a sale.

As I read it the termination of the free version was the cause of the
sale.  But the cause-and-effect is not entirely clear from the story, so
I may well be mistaken.

> Of course, I'm one of those weirdos who pays for shareware if I find I
> like and use it, so don't take *my* word for anything...

Freak!  :)

I paid for Tex-Edit twice only because I liked it so much and use it so
often and it's so affordable.  Same with GraphicConverter -- one of the
best values in this history of software, IMO.

Personally I liked having the free version, and use a very similar
feature-restriction-with-no-time-limite model for every package I make.
  While I have no hard data on the efficacy of that approach for RR, for
myself and my clients it's done very well.

But I don't run RR, and they don't run 4W, and we both like it that way. :)

Kee Nethery of the great Kagi.com feels strongly in favor of this model
too, if memory serves -- Kee, care to share your experiences?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation