A Philosophical Point

Bill bill at bluewatermaritime.com
Wed Apr 27 10:00:27 EDT 2005

I have always admired the public domain software community. I think the
stuff on source forge is excellent and everybody knows the story of Apache
and how even IBM's engineers came to use it. But everyone of those projects
released under the GNU license that have gotten really successful spun off
some kind of money-making business. Look at Red Hat Linux. But there are
still people working with Linux and add-ons for it and programs for it that
are released under GNU even though Red Hat is making money. The same thing
is true for Apache. It is public domain but there are plenty of servers with
an Apache core that are sold and making everyone's software experience
richer. Please don't feel betrayed because RunRev has to make a living. I
hope instead that you will keep making some incredible additions to RunRev
that we can all enjoy released to the public domain but also use the
reputation you gain from the release of that software to make some money
yourself also programming with RunRev.

I think it will help if you look at incredible software as an enriching
empowerment experience for the people that get to use it and to realize that
for most people whether it is free or cost less than $200 makes very little
difference.

            |    |    |
           )_)  )_)  )_)
          )___))___))___)\