OT: 10.4 "Automator" = Applescript?

Kurt Kaufman kurtkaufman at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 26 11:24:11 EDT 2005

RG wrote:

"...From the session I attended at WWDC last year on Automator, it appears
to be merely a point-and-click way to write AppleScript, just like
interface for making scripts that you can use with Flash in leiu of
directly typing, or the point-and-click scripting found in FileMaker Pro
for years..."

Perhaps I've mentioned this before, but nothing was so easy to use as Mac
System 6's MacroMaker.
Just start it up, go through whatever process is required, save the Macro,
and you're done.  It might not have been very elegant visually (everything
including Menu pulls and button clicks was visible when running the macros,
and it sort of reminded me of early film comic slapstick), but it seemed
always to work no matter what the application.  As someome who has slugged
through Applescript GUI scripting, I miss a tool so simple and yet so
effective. THAT'S the way a macro tool "for the rest of us" should operate!