To MySQL or Not SQL

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Mon Apr 25 17:26:25 EDT 2005

Hello Dan, Trevor and All,

> Pierre.....
>
> I think you meant to refer to Trevor's libDB libraries here. Just in
> case someone gets confused.

All my apologies, Trevor. As you are remembering, Dan, i just wants to
speak from your libDatabase client-server dedicated usefull framework,
Trevor and from the Chipp's altSQLlite one in about the Rev's
embbedable SQLlite solutions...

> I really agree with you about SQL being the perfect Rev sister ship,
> though, and I like the analogy.
>
> One thing I've been thinking about a lot lately in conjunction with a
> set of apps I'm doing for my main client, is whether or not to use
> altSQlite out the gate for all data storage, skipping over cards and
> custom properties altogether (I'm talking about storage of record-type
> data here, not things for which cards and props are decidedly
> correct). One big advantage of that approach is that if the client's
> needs change and suddenly he wants the data on a networked server with
> a robust database, I don't have to change my code except for the
> connect stuff (typically one line) for it to just work.

Exactly the same motivations there, Dan... When Rev let us code our
apps teen times faster and securly than in going down with UML+Java
miseries (core-coding or low-level frameworks), when ACID-SQL back-ends
let us learn how to let powerfull transactions managers handle the
security of our datas, we are going head with more and more reliable
and powerfull ways to design and build great xtalk's solutions... Is'n
it just : cool ?

Best, :-)

Pierre