Some advice about Dreamcard player

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Apr 22 22:23:57 EDT 2005

On 4/22/05 8:23 AM, Jim Hurley wrote:

> I have had no
> experience with the Player. Does it run just Dreamcard stacks or any Run
> Rev stack?

There are some glitches to be aware of, but I don't use player enough to
know what they all are. The main thing people complain about is that
file access, both read and write, is blocked by default. This is
intentional for security. To overcome that, click the Rev icon in the
upper right corner of the player to show the preferences, and uncheck
the last checkbox to turn off "secure mode". Player will now allow disk
access, but be aware that if you run any untrusted stacks, they can mess
with your hard drive. Secure mode stays off across sessions until you
turn it on again. You have to set each player this way on each machine.

The other thing I've noticed is that player doesn't provide any default
menus. If your stack does not have its own menus, your users will have
only an empty menu bar and no command key equivalents.

I am not sure how many externals are embedded in player, but it is
likely that it is missing database drivers, though I haven't looked. You
might want to.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com