Where xTalk Excels (Was Re: OT: Adobe kills Director)

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Fri Apr 22 15:16:59 EDT 2005

There have been some wonderfully eloquent descriptions in this thread
of why some of us prefer xTalk to more conventional programming
languages. I liked the poetry vs. novel, sprint vs. marathon analogy a
lot.

For me, writing software and writing prose and poetry are very similar
processes. I spend virtually all of my time engaged in one or the other
of those creative pursuits. And, for me, xTalks are the only languages
that get out of the way and let me create. I don't have to spend a huge
amount of time thinking about syntax, structure, and other elements of
the language. i just use it. This comes from a couple of features of
xTalks that are not generally shared with other languages: their
human-like syntax and their encouragement of verbosity.

Many years ago, Adele Goldbert, a Smalltalk pioneer, wrote a wonderful
paper for the ACM called "Programmer as Reader" in which she argued
persuasively that since most programs spend far more of their life
cycles in maintenance mode than in development mode, it was important
that programs be inherently readable. Smalltalk took a very
sentence-structure approach to creating readability and it is that
feature which drew me to it.

Transcript code tends to be more readable than code written in other
languages, in part, I think, because the syntax itself is verbose.
Writing "put 14 into field 'age'" puts the coder in a different mind
set than "age=14". At least it seems to in my head.

Perhaps in part because of this human-readability and verbosity (I
suspect the two go hand-in-hand), it is far more often the case that a
Transcript statement does what I expect it to do even when I'm unsure
of the syntax than is true of most other languages (notable exception
for me being Python). I'm amazed as I work on projects how often I go
through this process: (1) I wonder how to say that in Revolution; (2)
I'll try it this way and see what happens; (3) what do you know, it
worked. This is in part, of course, because the very high-level nature
of the language means that step 2 never (at least in my experience so
far) causes any catastrophes. (That possibility is what ultimately
caused my uneasiness with Smalltalk, where it was at least
theoretically possible that I could munge up the entire Smalltalk
image, not just my app, since I was never isolated from it.)

People who don't program for a living and who are generally not trained
in computer art (I'm not sure it's really a science, are you?)
generally find xTalk languages more comfortable, inviting and
productive. And it's good to hear from some real professional coders
who are finding the same experience.