Better than tables, better than delimited lines?

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Fri Apr 22 02:53:04 EDT 2005

> These all make sense to me in what I am doing but I want a visual
> field to do my testing and was wondering if there is a better
> recommended way to handle many calls to a field by line first then
> first three items and then finally by last three to seven items?
> Again, I used to use comma delimited items with CR delimited lines in
> a text document but that was rather cumbersome with a few thousand
> lines. I eventually split it up to be easier to read through and fix
> errant key entries and action items.

The filter command should be able to do what you want very quickly e.g.
filter fld "Data" with myKey1 & comma & myKey2 & comma & myKey3 & comma
& "*"
will give you only the lines that start with the 3 specified keys.
Then you can loop through a subset of the original data.

While custom properties may be faster, I prefer to do my initial
development with the data in a visible and easily editable form. Even
later on, I still find that this is often the best way as retrieving &
setting the data is rarely the speed limiting step.

HTH,
Sarah