Menu Bar Blues

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 22 01:47:51 EDT 2005

Varen Swaab wrote:
> Richard
>
> After further research I suppose what I'm asking is whether the
> EditMenus property for a stack can be disabled so a stack doesn't resize
> when it's menu bar is changed from true to false and from false to true.
> So that the EditMenus property has only the effect to show the menu bar
> and not change the Vscroll property of objects.

I'm a bit sleep-deprived today, so forgive me if I seem slow. It seems
that you want:

- The menubar showing on Windows within the stack
- The menus to appear in the system's menubar on Mac
- The menus will not appear in the stack on Mac
- The stack will not scroll on Mac

Do I have that right?

Ordinarily, here's what happens:

--------------------------  <------------
| File Edit Help         |  <- menu grp  |
|------------------------|               |
|                        |               |-- stack height
|   (content region)     |               |
|                        |               |
-------------------------- <-------------

The stack height includes the menubar on non-Mac systems.  In apps that
conform to the HIG recommendations for Windows the only thing in the
menugroup region are the menus, so Rev is safe to crop that when
displaying the stack on Mac OS.

If the stack is not cropped then on Mac OS you'll have the menus
appearing both in the stack and in the system's menu bar; I'm fairly
confident that's not what you're looking for, correct?

I'm guessing that the missing piece in the description here is that you
have non-menu elements in the menu bar region -- is that correct?

If it is you can override the normal HIG-compliant behavior by simply
hiding the menugroup on Mac OS, and setting the editMenus property to true:

  on preOpenStack
    if the platform is "MacOS" then
      hide grp "myMenuGroup"
      set the editMenus of this stack to true
    end if
  end preOpenStack

Chipp had a similar situation and reported this worked just fine:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2004-December/048741.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation