Better than tables, better than delimited lines?

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Thu Apr 21 23:25:47 EDT 2005

Hello all,

I am playing with tables for  a database driven interface.

I used to use comma delimited items with CR delimited lines in a text
document. Is there a better way to do this, I am trying with a table
field.
The interface needs three criteria (Key columns one two and three) and
then anywhere from three to seven actions chosen based on outside
criteria.

My db looks like this:

key1 , key2 , key3 , action1 , action2 , action3 , action4 , action5
key1 , key2 , key3 , action1 , action2 , action3 , action4 , action5 ,
action6 , action7
key1 , key2 , key3 , action1 , action2 , action3 , action4
key1 , key2 , key3 , action1 , action2 , action3 , action4 , action5
key1 , key2 , key3 , action1 , action2 , action3
key1 , key2 , key3 , action1 , action2 , action3 , action4 , action5,
action6
key1 , key2 , key3 , action1 , action2 , action3 , action4 , action5
etc...
(May be up to 6,000 lines more at most)

My outside criteria would be like this:

If the checked of preference one is 4 then go through each line until
key1 & key2 & key3 match these three keys and do action number 4 of
that line
(where key1 is pressed first and key2 is pressed next and key three is
pressed last. once that is done the system will check the preference
item and pick the action item of that sequence of keys and act upon
it.)
-or-
if there are only three action items then do number three if this
criteria X has been met.
-or-
if there are more than three action items then do numbers 4 to end (5,
6 or 7) singularly back to back.

These all make sense to me in what I am doing but I want a visual field
to do my testing and was wondering if there is a better recommended way
to handle many calls to a field by line first then first three items
and then finally by last three to seven items? Again, I used to use
comma delimited items with CR delimited lines in a text document but
that was rather cumbersome with a few thousand lines. I eventually
split it up to be easier to read through and fix errant key entries and
action items.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Thomas J McGrath III
3mcgrath at adelphia.net

412-831-3094
220 Drake Road
Bethel Park, PA 15102

<*)) >=<
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways - a Cigar in one hand - a large steak in the other -
your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO
HOO! What a Ride!"