line number in a for each repeat

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Thu Apr 21 18:32:53 EDT 2005

Thanks, I did not know that the lineoffset would slow it down. In my
case i only have between 3 to 18 items to work with so speed should not
be affected. i will revisit my code and look at a counter method.

This started out because I have set a goal for myself to both optimize
my code using my own functions for common tasks and to also comment the
heck out of my code. Something I have grown slack in doing lately. The
last two projects i did were successful and did turn into products but
I was not completely satisfied with my work. The one project made use
of a Flash front end that then ran my Rev app after an intro video done
out of house. The other involved using a commercial software that Rev
was the front end. It used Portfolio as an image library and used Rev
as a sign in and guide to using the software.

This project is actually a prototype of software we are developing for
use in smart phones and PDAs. We design it  quickly for features and
for viewing on a laptop with a data projector and then we send the
project with a specifications sheet to our engineers who then have to
match what we have done in a real phone. I have to be very careful that
we don't put things in that can't be done in 'real' life on a phone.
But that is what I'm good at so it's actually a lot of fun. I know that
rev can handle this and once I get this first one finished I should
then be able to add 'features' to it with ease. The Director programmer
always seemed to leave out this ability. I wanted to change one icon
and it took five days for him to get it back to us. I would have put
the icons in a folder and allowed us to dump new ones in anytime we
needed to.

Well, Thanks again

Tom

On Apr 21, 2005, at 5:47 PM, Brian Yennie wrote:

>> I did end up using the lineoffset and that works for what I am doing,
>> but this would have been the way I did it before in SuperCard.
>
> That'll work, but keep in mind it mostly defeats the speed of "for
> each". Incrementing a counter would preserve the speed advantage over
> other structures.

> Thomas McGrath III wrote:
>> PS.. I have decided to take on our Director programmer after reading
>> the threads about Adobe buying MM out. Before I felt that he had a
>> lot of time invested and although I knew I could do this I didn't
>> want to push him out. Now however I figured that it was a good time
>> to 'recreate' in REV what he has been doing in MM Director for the
>> past two years. I know REV can handle it especially since we are no
>> longer posting a live version straight on the web of our software.
>
> I'd be interested to learn how that comes out.  Please keep me posted.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation

Thomas J. McGrath III