Too little space leads to too many spaces

Michael J. Lew michaell at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Apr 20 19:02:43 EDT 2005

Yesterday I encountered an oddity when I started to work on a Rev
project: I started to get repeating space characters in the script
editor. When I closed the script the problem seemed to go away, at
least until I focused on a field when the spaces reappeared. My
keyboard looked fine, and so I switched to another app and there
seemed to be no problem... until I clicked in a editable place. I
guessed that Rev had gone mad and so I quit it. That didn't fix the
problem so I restarted the computer, which did.

Today I started the same Rev project and immediately found the same
repeating space characters appearing in a field, and in my other
apps. Oh no, a Rev bug bites? No!. It turns out that when I started
to work with Rev each time I got out my project workbook and put it
in front of the keyboard. The book didn't press the space key on that
keyboard, but I have a second keyboard behind my monitor simply to
act as a USB extender and when I put the workbook in front of my
primary keyboard, I was pushing the keyboard back a bit which pushed
the monitor back a bit which pushed some CD covers onto the space key
of my USB extender keyboard!

--
Michael J. Lew

Senior Lecturer