Alternating rows in a list

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Apr 20 13:26:23 EDT 2005

Jim Lyons wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:01:52 -0500 Gordon Tillman wrote:
>
>>> It's too bad HTML tables are not supported...
>>

>> I guess in the meanwhile one could use the altBrowser plugin... I
>> bought a copy of that when it was released but have been so busy
>> working on other projects I haven't had a chance to play with it... :-(
>

> I bought a copy of altBrowser just to be able to create and display CSS
> formatted text in Revolution. It works great! If you have never
> experienced the joy of using style sheets, you owe it to yourself to
> learn about it.

It's a great option for displaying lists, but getting at the data is
another matter when it's in a browser control.

Xavier once posted what is in my experience the efficient solution for
this yet:  he has a second field below the first filled with spaces and
the background color set as you like for alternating colors, with a
scrollbarDrag message in the top field which contains the data in order
to synch the two.

Mr. X - got the URL handy?

You may find this a suitable holdover until we get alternating lines
implemented natively.

FWIW, I rarely use alternating line colors myself. I recognize the
value, but somewhere along the way it occured to me that the most
commonly-used table views, the Windows Explorer and Mac Finder, seem to
get along well without them.

They're a good nice-to-have, and if a client is insistent I use Xavier's
method.  But more often than not I save the overhead and follow the
examples of Microsoft's and Apple's file lists.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation