Question about Valentina

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Apr 19 11:57:13 EDT 2005

On Apr 19, 2005, at 8:20 AM, Lynch, Jonathan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am investigating Velentina, but their website makes me a bit nervous
> about using the program. Many part of the website do not work - that
> cannot be a good sign for a software company, and I still haven't found
> an Email for contacting the company.

They just revamped their website so there are a couple of things that
still don't work right.  It coincided with the 2.0 release of their
database.

> So my question is this - is Valentina a reliable database, and is the
> company, Paradigma, a reliable company?

Paradigma is a very reliable company.  They are growing right but the
head developer, Ruslan, is very involved in the mailing list.  The
Valentina database has some quirks but I've used it in a number of
projects without too many problems.

> Also, does anyone know if their EULA allows you to freely distribute
> software that contains embedded Valentina?

Yes, you pay the one time fee for the database and then you can
distribute it with your programs.

Depending on your needs you might want to check out altSQLite as well.
If you don't need to encrypt your database structure this is a great
solution.  It is cheaper and runs on linux as well.

<http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/altSQLiteCover/default.htm>

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia