playing video on PCs

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Tue Apr 19 07:22:49 EDT 2005

Hi Sims,

You can use mpg or avi on pcs no problem.

As far as codecs go, if you can bare bloat, use indeo or any xp-included
codec. But Divx or xvid is by far much smaller if not just as good quality
wise
and generally the one most in use

xvid or divx codecs can be downloaded for free btw.

There's also a free quicktime player but dont remember it's web site. As
soon as i
find it or the other player i wanted to mention, i'll send it...

cheers
Xavier

On 19.04.2005 13:04:52 use-revolution-bounces wrote:
>I need to play video on both OS X and Windows machines which will
>for the most part be business computers - corporate office machines.
>
>The Mac part I can figure out and will be able to use QuickTime.
>
>Some PC machines will not have QuickTime installed and will not want
>to install QT. I need some advice on what format/codec to use for
>these non-QT machines.
>
>In the list archives I found this:
>
>>Having said that, I suggest you save video in the best format/codec for
>>each platform, and select the files on the fly according to the platform
>>its running on.  For example, QT with Sorenson for MacOS, and .mpg with
>>Indeo for WinOS.  I say Indeo as it's the only codec you can rely on
being
>>loaded on a WinOS machine.
>
>Can anyone else give me some advise on:
>
>1. what format/codec would be found on most PC machines - in other words
>what is the safest way to go, would it be .mpg with Indeo as suggested
above

>2. what codec/format would provide the best viewing experience on PCs
>which do not have QT - in other words what provides the best which can
>be used via a Rev application
>
>TIA
>sims

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com
IMPORTANT MESSAGE    Internet communications are not secure and therefore
Clearstream International does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.    The information contained in this e-mail is
confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the
addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states
them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of its
affiliates or subsidiaries.    END OF DISCLAIMER