Very annoying IDE Problem

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Mon Apr 18 19:23:52 EDT 2005

> My students quite often run into stack corruption.  Most of the time it
> can be traced to their being over their disk quota on the file server
> we
> save the stacks to, but sometimes the stacks just corrupt.  I *never*
> had
> this problem in ten years of teaching using HyperCard.
>
> BTW, it would be *really* nice if RunRev would, as other apps do, give
> an
> error message when trying to save to a disk that's over quota, instead
> of
> just quietly corrupting the stack beyond recovery.

When Rev tries to save a stack, it first makes a copy the original with
a tilde ~ after the name e.g. myStackFile.rev~
If the save succeeds, the tilde copy is deleted. If the save fails,
your new stack will be an incomplete file that won't open, but the
original is there with the tilde attached.

While I agree that it would be nice if there is a warning (although I
have never tried checking "the result" after a save), it is easy enough
to check for the tilde file after a save and see if it exists.

Cheers,
Sarah