foundline() and linedelimeters other than return

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Apr 18 16:44:02 EDT 2005

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 4/18/05 1:49 PM, R. Hillen wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wrote:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>>   set the itemdelimiter to "|"
>>   set the linedelimiter to "\"
>>
>>   put "a" & linedelimiter into field "haha"
>>   put "b" & linedelimiter after field "haha"
>>
>>   find "b" in field haha
>>  answer the number of lines of field haha & return & the foundline
>> end mouseUp
>>

>> This Script return  2  lines with "b" found in line _1_ of field 1.
>> I expected line 2 of field 1.
>>
>> Am I wrong?
>

> Wait a sec, I didn't read your message enough times before I answered.
>
> The word "linedelimiter" can't be used the way you are doing it.

Yes you can - though my first thought was that you'd need to say "the
linedelimiter"
put "a" & the linedelimiter into field "haha"
But in fact the field does get the correct value placed into it.

> Try:
>
> put "a\" into field "haha"
> put "b\" into fld "haha"

Makes no difference.

> You are doing text chunking, so this should work.

I think maybe the "find" command doesn't count as "text chunking" - if
you do lineOffset("b", field "Field") you get the expected value of 2.

Alternatively, of course, lineDelimeter is a *local* value, and doesn't
affect the vales used in other handlers - so if the find command is
implemented as a handler then that would also explain this behaviour;
note the docs don't say that it is - purely speculation.