Database access from NAT network

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Sun Apr 17 19:41:03 EDT 2005

Hi, I'm having trouble accessing a MySQL database. I'm on OS X 10.3.8
and Rev 2.5/2.5.1.

I am not able to access either of my MySQL servers at work from my home
network. They are both on MAC OS X servers on publc IP addresses. I can
reach them from home via SSH, FTP, AFP, HTTP and others. For example I
can SSH into a server and run the mysql command line process. But any
time I try to connect to a database through Rev, the request simply
hangs, with a spinning lollipop, for several minutes until I finally
get an error message " "

Strangely enough, twice (out of maybe 12 tries) the database connected
successfully. The connection took a long time to establish, then each
query takes a similarly long time (5+ minutes.)

Is the process simply timing out?

Might there be ports closed that need to be open on my home router?
(What port do revdb processes use?)

Anybody give me any tips for how to configure my router (an SMC
Barricade G wireless router) to speed up/unblock or whatever access to
these db servers?

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University