Alternate Editors

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Apr 17 13:03:50 EDT 2005

Len Morgan wrote:

> Yes, that's the "template" I saw.  If you can't use UltraEdit to edit
> stack files, it seems kind of pointless to have a template so that's
> why I'm asking.  It looks like at a minimum, I'd have to first create
> the stack perhaps with no scripts and then I could edit it from there.

Len,

the way you would use it is from within the IDE.

First, you want a copy of "MLXEditor" from www.mindluube.com/developer
This replaces the normal script editor within the IDE with a link to an
external editor.

Then within the IDE, any time you edit a script, it uses the external
editor.

It's very convenient - but there are some limitations; I believe it
cannot pass line numbers, so when you encounter a script error, and use
the "Script" button from the "Error" box, it cannot take you directly to
the line in question.

I tried it recently, and haven't yet found a way to use a single
instance of Emacs to edit multiple scripts (which would be one advantage
for me), so I haven't switched over to using it - but will be trying
again some day soon.

Thanks again to Alex at mindlube for this useful tool.