Lists and Custom Properties

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Sat Apr 16 15:20:51 EDT 2005

You can't do that.  Custom properties are assigned to objects, not to
the contents of those objects.  There are a few ways to accomplish what
you are trying to do, though:

- - You could use a custom property on the field itself to store the
extra information for all of the lines in the field (scrolling list).
Each line of the custom property could represent the corresponding line
of the scrolling list, for example.

- - If each line in the scrolling list is guaranteed to be unique, you
could use a custom property set as if it were an array, using the
content of the scrolling list (which may be a string, it does not need
to be a number) as an index into the "array", and storing the other
values in the array.

- - You could use a separate, hidden (if desired)  field to store the
extra information

etc.

On Apr 16, 2005, at 3:06 PM, Gary Thompson wrote:

> I've just purchased Revolution Studio after playing with the demo for
> 30 days. I am really impressed with this product! I have used
> Realbasic, Visual Basic, Toolbook, Hypercard and SuperCard at some
> point in my career but this is probably the best RAD system I've seen
> to date.
>
> I've been getting up to speed using the video tutorials and reading
> the archives of this mailing list and have had great success in my
> learning curve. I am especially interested in custom properties but
> I'm having a little bit of trouble understanding them. Which brings me
> to my question:
>
> How would one store a custom property for each line in a scrolling
> list? For example: a list of names and the custom property would
> contain that person's age or something like that.
>
> Hopefully this makes sense!

$ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual
everlasting life.
$