ANN Getting Nine digit zip codes

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Fri Apr 15 20:28:06 EDT 2005

>Message: 16
>Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:16:06 -0500
>From: Ken Ray <kray at sonsothunder.com>
>Subject: Re: ANN Getting Nine digit zip codes
>To: Use Revolution List <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>On 4/15/05 8:07 AM, "Jim Hurley" <jhurley at infostations.com> wrote:
>
>>  My thanks to all who have taken the time to take the time, i.e.
>>  report the time to run Getting bar codes.
>>
>>  It looks like this is quite viable for large DB, if one has broad
>>  band--or patience.
>
>If you want something faster, you can always download a static Zip Code DB -
>there are many out there, even some that have subscriptions. Here's a free
>one:
>
>http://www.thedigitalmapstore.com/Free_Stuff/ZIP_Code_Database/zip_code_data
>base.html
>
>HTH,
>
>Ken Ray
>Sons of Thunder Software
>Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
>Email: kray at sonsothunder.com

Ken,

Definitely interested. Does this give the nine digit code?  I got an
error message from your line: "404 not found." Now that's cryptic.

I did find some zip codes at
http://www.thedigitalmapstore.com/Free_Stuff/ZIP_Code_Database/

They appear to be the 5 digit codes.

What I'm trying to do is generate some barcodes for my neighborhood
association to cut mailing costs, so I already have the 5 digit
codes. But to get USPS pre-sorted discount I need to get the expanded
code from 5 digit code to the nine digit code from the USPS web site.
Using Run Rev's   "post" to myAddreessesAnd5digitZipCodes to the USPS
url I get the 9 digit zip for each 5 digit zip.  Fortunately I only
need to do this once so the speed is not so important.

I've got the barcode font now and it looks like I can produce the
barcoded labels within Run Rev. (A little anxious about the printing
precision required to print labels.)  There is some coding to get the
barcode. You need to add the last two letters of the address to the
zip  and a checksum at the end. Pretty simple.

I think this sort of thing might be generally useful. There are lots
of services that do this, and lots of software, but at a price. But
who needs them? We have Run Rev.  A TOOL FOR ALL SEASONS!

Jim