Mac compatible DB's

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Fri Apr 15 17:56:31 EDT 2005

Oak, have you considered using an ISP-based version of MySQL?

Many providers today offer MySQL, shell access, FTP, huge email
account limits, php, perl, python, linux and an easy to configure
control panel. I've set up and maintained servers and the idea sounds
neat - hosting your on machine, but I'll tell you with the bandwidth
and quality available now for cheap it can't be beat. I think they're
getting ready to offer Postgres as well soon.

Then you know your app will work anywhere, and clients can use it in
tests with the same settings..

One of the best I've used (and now I am hosting over 10 sites there)
is <http://dreamhost.com/shared/comparison.html>Dreamhost. For less
than 10 bucks a month you get a great tool, and they have even more
diskspace and domains hosted for $20/month.

I don't have to hassle with installation, and setting up an account
is a breeze.

Also a great free Mac MySQL client is CocoaMySQL....

By the way, my hat is definitely tipped toward Trevor Devore and his
gift to us: the library stack "lib.bmm.database". The two stacks and
SQL code will help you get to your AHA moment with SQL and rev.....
thanks Trevor --

I am migrating a card/background based Hypercard stack to a
client-server one. And the libraries got me off to a great start.

  So, right now, MySQL works GREAT for me - the only need I'd have for
PostGres would be if I needed to create stored procedures. But for
99% of database work, MySQL is stable and fast.