Handling updates

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Fri Apr 15 15:22:08 EDT 2005

i might add the phpnuke method...

when you decide to upgrade

a php sql web page (compared to a stack script) updates first your
database structure and injects or deletes the data so it's ready for
the next version... It's quite handy. In my case, where I can't reach
my php server via rev sql calls, I use phpmyadmin as intermidiary.

Copy paste though... But Rev generate the sql quite quickly and
puts it in my clipbaord in one click... so it's a no brainer for
lame cases like mine...

Should it be constant, i'd use the phpnuke method... and incremental or
alternative set of objects for each subsequent version (where different
clients have different versions). With incremental objects you can downgrade
if something goes wrong.

Storage might be an issue though. And you might not want to trade that for
the possibility to downgrade later...

Another possibility is to ensure that outdated clients should update when
they dont match the sql data to engine/structure version...

I read across the lines but I dont think im way off the line... For my
stacks i just use a simple text file with a text table... no need for
anything complicated... This tells the user he has the latest version or
not. I find that most convenient.

Cheers
Xavier