Mac compatible DB's

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Fri Apr 15 15:15:09 EDT 2005

Yep, I have PostgreSQL installed here under Windoze, OS X, and Linux.
No probs.

Check the FAQ for PostgreSQL, section 1.3:

Almost any UNIX platform (OS X is one of these, like it or not -- I
like it), NT-based Windows OSes (9x via Cygwin only), plus ports for
Netware and OS/2...

It gets around.  See http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/ for
some info about just a few companies using PostgreSQL for production
work.

Another interesting open source database is Firebird, but its
compatibility is a bit more limited (Windows and Linux only):
http://firebird.sourceforge.net

You can also get Ingres for Windows, Linux, and Solaris:
http://opensource.ca.com/projects/ingres

I wonder how hard it would be to get one of these DBs ported to OS X,
since they are both open source, both run under Linux (and Ingres under
Solaris as well)...

Doesn't really matter at this point, as we have PostgreSQL, and Rev
doesn't have a RevDB driver for either Firebird or Ingres.  Hmm.