Painless PostgreSQL Windows Install Package

Typing80wpm at aol.com Typing80wpm at aol.com
Fri Apr 15 13:17:00 EDT 2005

Please let me know what you think of this, if someone is familiar, before I
install it. Thanks!
Here is where google has finally lead me in my quest for a windows  installer
for postgreSQL. Good Lord! Why is it that unix/linux type people find  it
challenging to speak in plain English.  I have encoundered this SO MANY  TIMES.
You struggle to find the download
page, and then you have to be an ancient Egyptian Hieroglypics
cryptologist to decipher which thing you REALLY need and which
button to click on to get it!

I mean, why cant they be clever enough to have one link that says "IF
YOU DONT KNOW SH!!T FROM SHINOLA, AND YOU HAVE WINDOWS,
THEN CLICK HERE FOR AN AUTOMATIC INSTALL",  since the
inexperienced person will not understand all the other baloney, and
someone who DOES understand all the other baloney probably can do
a cygwin installation from source code.

_http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/win32/_ (http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/win32/)

I am GUESSING that what I need from this page is
postgresql-8.0.2.zip
since I dont speak Japanese...

postgresql-8.0.2.zip is the multi-language version of the installer. This
file has been GPG signed at build time by Dave Page. Dave's public key
may be found

at _http://www.pgadmin.org/pgp/davepage.pgp_
(http://www.pgadmin.org/pgp/davepage.pgp)

postgresql-8.0.2-ja.zip is a Japanese specific version. This file has
been by Hiroshi Saito whose public key may be found at:
_http://cre-ent.skcapi.co.jp/~saito/developer/pginst/hiroshi.pgp_
(http://cre-ent.skcapi.co.jp/~saito/developer/pginst/hiroshi.pgp)

postgresql-8.0.2-binaries-no-installer.zip is a zip of the PostgreSQL
installation directory. It does not include any of the bundled apps  or
drivers and is intended for expert users only!

_http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pginstaller_
(http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pginstaller)

HERE IS THE POST which lead me to the about download page for the
postgreSQL installer....

_http://www.jroller.com/page/nathan/Weblog?catname=%2Ftech_
(http://www.jroller.com/page/nathan/Weblog?catname=/tech)

Wednesday August 25, 2004
Postgres 8.0 Beta1

It's been around for a while, but I have a work driven excuse to try out
the latest version of postgres on windows and see how it goes.
This version has perhaps the biggest thing to happen to postgres for
some years: a windows installer for postgres.. So that means no more
mucking around with cygwin and the millions of libraries cygwin it
needs JUST to get a decent open source database installed on a
windows box.

MySQL I really didn't take seriously up until a few years back when
they seemed to sort out what a transaction was all about, but I would
still place Postgres over MySQL, simply because it started out with a
decent underlying model (Object Relational under the covers) and
built on that, rather than whipping up a quick and dirty solution and
having to tack on things that should really have been in there since
the word go.

I previously used postgres a lot on an internal CRM/Sales
reporting/intranet J2EE app at a previous job, and aside from
scheduling a vacuum to run every-so-often, it was maintenance free
and rock solid. It sat on Red Hat linux, with JBoss, Resin (then
migrated to tomcat later as they changed their licencing structure)
and apache between the end users and it. Never seemed to need
kicking over or restarting, just sat there and served up data quite
reliably.

In the current job at CustomWare we've had the 8.0beta1 up for a
little while on linux (servicing our jira, confluence and other random
internal systems), so it seems to have handled that load ok
(confluence has a fairly large swag of documents and information
stored in it by now, and jira has lots of issues/support requests/tasks
etc).

Anyhow, the windows installer seems pretty straight forward, it puts
postgres in as a service and will create a user for it (with a warning
when you try to pick a dummy password for the user account.. always
nice to know it stops you from your own stupidity). Comes with
PGAdmin III ready to go as an admin tool, so setting up databases,
tablespaces, users etc is all straight forward.

Jira and jive seem to talk to the windows postgres no problems, I'll
see what else I can point at it as I go, to give it a fair share of the
development time on my laptop (rather than oracle) and see whether
there are any bugs in the beta version.

So finally, MySQL should be worried in the windows open source db
market... Because the only real reason mysql has been so widely
spread is that it has a nice easy windows install. Postgres has that
now too, it's also opensource and lots of documentation and support
out there. Look forward to the full 8.0 release..

Thought I'd summarise the links (since people tend to want to find
something if they end up here from google):

Postgres main site - _http://www.postgresql.org_ (http://www.postgresql.org)
Windows  installer for postgres -

_http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pginstaller_
(http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pginstaller)