Revolution Online Scripting Conferences

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Apr 14 16:14:26 EDT 2005

On 4/14/05 12:24 PM, Glen Bojsza wrote:

> This is an excellent move!
>
> Will the sessions be recorded for later reviews?

Here is how these sessions will work, which are modeled on the HyperCard
scripting conferences I hosted on AOL for several years. These were
highly successful and motivating sessions for everyone, and I am sure
that the Runtime sessions will be the same. The conferences are an
excellent way for beginners to learn basic skills, intermediate users to
brush up on concepts they may be fuzzy about, and experienced users to
share their expertise. Everyone, regardless of skill level, should plan
to attend, since we are going to have a wonderful time and share a lot
of knowledge.

This is what will happen: The presenter will prepare a teaching stack in
advance of the session. The stack will be made available for public
download 1 week before the conference date.

Those who plan to attend can download and study the stack in advance.
This isn't required, but is encouraged to make you familiar with the
material. On the conference date, after I have introduced the speaker,
the speaker will explain their stack and its concepts in a lecture
format lasting 30-60 minutes. During this time a moderated chat protocol
will be in effect, preventing everyone from talking at once. (Chat
protocol is explained in the conference stack.)

After the formal presentation, attendees can ask questions and/or make
comments about the topic being covered, allowing us to expand on the
information that was formally presented. During Q&A, the presenter is
not the only one who will answer questions; anyone who has something to
add can help explain. This gives us access to a wide range of expertise
and experience.

After Q&A, the formal part of the conference ends. A transcript of the
proceedings will be saved and placed into the conference stack, which
will be re-uploaded to the web site. Folks who want a copy of the
transcript can re-download the stack after the conference is over. In
addition, future Rev users will have access to these stacks and their
accompanying transcripts, allowing them to learn the material even
though they did not have a chance to attend the conference itself. In
other words, we will be creating an archive of tutorials and learning
materials that anyone can use.

When Q&A is over the floor is opened to informal, unmoderated chat, and
participants may socialize, ask questions about other unrelated
Revolution topics, have a free-form discussion about anything they like,
etc. There is no official ending time; the chat is over when the last
person leaves the room.

During the HyperCard AOL conferences, these sessions were very popular
and people looked forward to them not only to learn about the topic
presented for the week, but also to have personal access to some of the
top gurus in the field. Our Revolution sessions should be equally
informative, fun, and enlightening for all Revolution users. I highly
encourage everyone to attend.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com